Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links which means YBC® will earn a small commission if you happen to make a purchase. Thanks for the support.
Who doesn't love a good transformation? There's something about someone deciding to make a change and commit to something new that is so exciting! Recently, my brother Allen decided he wanted to make a change and incorporate healthier habits into his overall lifestyle. He had recently moved to a new city, started a new job, and up until now, he'd never given much thought to health, fitness, or nutrition. A typical day for him was skipping breakfast and lunch and eating fast food for dinner. But, he reached a point where he was tired of paying so much for food, being inactive, and overall feeling unhealthy.
Over the next 12 weeks, Allen will completely transform his old habits into a new lifestyle by cooking fresh, nutritious meals, or eating prepared meals from meal delivery service, Metabolic Meals. He's also joining a crossfit gym and committing to workouts 5-6 days a week. He's agreed to let the #ybccommunity follow along in a three-part series documenting his new diet, workouts, and lifestyle--as well as any struggles along the way. Comment below if you've made a transformation or commitment to a healthier lifestyle, or if you have any suggestions or support for Allen! Also, if you too would like to add healthy, nutritious, meal delivery service from Metabolic Meals to your healthy lifestyle, use coupon code 'yogabycandace' for $20 off your first order.
Find out more about where he's coming from and where he sees himself going over the coming weeks:
1. Describe your nutrition and fitness lifestyle up until this point. Throughout my life I never gave a thought to nutrition or fitness. I hardly ever worked out and ate what I wanted, mostly going out to eat.
2. Why did you decide to change your health and fitness lifestyle? I decided that I wanted to feel better and to stop spending so much money going out to eat all the time. I also wanted to get in shape and get into a more active lifestyle. Also, I am originally from CT, but now live in PA, and don’t know many people in my area so I thought this was a good way to meet people that shared an interest in health and fitness.
3. What was a typical day of food, drinks, and exercise for you? My average day would be waking up and going to work early (6am) and skipping breakfast and lunch. Then, for dinner I would usually go out and eat a large meal: cheesesteak, pizza, or tacos. I also drank sugary drinks like soda, milkshakes and smoothies.
4. What is now a typical day of food, drinks, and exercise for you? For breakfast I will make eggs with spinach and toast. For lunch and dinner, I have started to use the Metabolic Meals meal delivery service which include dishes like grass-fed burger with southwest carrots, grass-fed bison goulash with chickpea pasta, and oven-baked turkey breast with tricolor potatoes.
5. What are you most nervous about? Having the discipline to follow a consistent workout schedule and not being able to keep up with the other athletes at crossfit.
6. What are you most excited about? Having this opportunity to change my life and hopefully being able to see some results down the road.
7. What will be the biggest change for you? I think my diet will be the biggest change. Changing my eating habits from eating out, fast food, and junk foods to a healthier diet that either I cook or plan will be a challenge, but I’m definitely willing to put in the effort.
8. How do you plan on committing to this lifestyle change for the next few months? With the support of my family and friends, and my self-determination to succeed. This is something that I have thought about for a few years now, and recently I have come to a place where I feel mentally able to change my bad habits and become a healthier person.
9. What part of this do you foresee being the biggest challenge? Having the discipline to make it to crossfit classes each week because I work and am in school. I will need to manage my time carefully and not get burnt out right away. Creating a schedule that works for me is something that I still have to figure out.
10. Do you have a support system or person to reach out to when you’re feeling like quitting? My sister is very supportive and wants to see me succeed. I ask her advice often and call on her for support when I’m feeling down or like I want to give up. Seeing her active lifestyle and how far she has come has given me the strength and hope I need to change my own life around.
Overall, I'm really excited for Allen and the next few months. He is up against a lot right now, but I have been blown away by his dedication so far. You may remember on my IG stories that he worked out with me two times, but you may not know that he drove over two hours each way to get there. As far as meals goes, I think it would be difficult for him to fail, since Metabolic Meal delivery service will have his meals right there in front of him. The tough parts will come in scheduling and sleep. I know he doesn't sleep long enough, but I'm hopeful that once the workouts become more regular, and he gets used to eating better, more high quality foods, that piece will fall into place. Managing his stress and workload and finding a good balance in his schedule will be crucial, but I believe in him and sometimes that's all you need - a little support. I can't wait to see how he feels in 12 weeks and what habits he'll keep.
If you too are interested in meal delivery service from Metabolic Meals, they are offering $20 off your first order to the YBC Community! Just enter coupon code 'yogabycandace' to receive your discount on healthy and nutritious meals delivered to your doorstep.