This is a sponsored post. While YBC was compensated for the post, all opinions - as always - are our own. We are committed to working with small businesses whose mission we fully support.
One of my favorite memories with my mom takes place on a hot summer day in rural northwestern Connecticut. I must've been maybe 15 or so, and we were driving along just chatting about whatever. It was sort of a grey day, but summer was in full swing. The leaves on the trees were full, and a vibrant green. The sky looked ready to open up and pour at any given moment, and just as we were commenting on the grey/yellow color of the sky, our minivan died right there on the street. We puttered along for maybe twenty feet or so and managed to pull the car over. We got out and looked left and right but we were in the middle of no where and had no way of getting ahold of anyone (this was before cell phones- how did we survive?!). We started walking to the closest house, this old, rickety house with splintering red paint. There was junk in the yard and and music blaring from inside. It was our only hope unless we wanted to walk another five miles or so down the road, so we both approached the house and knocked on the door.
About a full minute later, a woman with wild, grey Pippy Longstocking hair appeared in a nightgown. It was the late afternoon but I love a good day in pajamas, so who am I to judge?
"What?" she demanded.
We explained we had car trouble and would it be okay to use her phone.
"Be quick," she said and stepped aside to let us in.
There were cats everywhere. I mean more than I could even begin to count and I stayed close by my mom's side as we wove our way through the cats.
Walking on Sunshine was the name of the song that was playing, full blast, and the lady handed us the phone and stood there, expectantly as we made a call, my mom screaming into the receiver so my dad could hear her.
After we made our phone call, we hightailed it out of there, and once we were safely back to our car, we looked at each other and laughed till we cried. That song! The Pippy Longstocking hair! The fact that the lady didn't turn it down and it was at full blast! The cats!! The catttttssss! It was all too much and to this day whenever we hear that song we laugh so hard.
Since Mother's Day is coming up, I thought I'd put together a little gift guide giveaway and reach out to hear one of your favorite memories with your mom. Funny or heart-warming, share yours down below in the comments for a chance to win everything here!
1. Infinity Block - This is a work of art. It's also a durable, highly effective yoga block with comfortable rounded edges that'll enhance your practice. The blocks are made in San Francisco out of sustainable poplar wood. $45 from Bhoga. Use coupon code YBC20 for 20% off all products until 6.30.15.
2. Heavenly Throw - Since one of my mom's favorite things is curling up under a cozy blanket and watching a movie with some popcorn surrounded by her fambam, I know this throw would be a hit. It's made out of 100% organic cotton and comes in a variety of soft hues. $59.99 by Under the Canopy.
3. Wet and Sweat Bag - Perfect for the active mama, this waterproof bag will hold mom's swimsuit after a day at the beach, or her gym clothes after a good workout. $19.99 from 3GreenMoms.
4. Diamond Drop Earrings - These are beautiful and have such a great message behind them- for every purchase made, a donation of canned goods is made. $34 from Canned Goods Co.
5. Roll on Perfume Oil - This roll on perfume oil is for the mamas who want to smell wonderful but not have to worry about toxic ingredients! This beautiful blend of essential oils and jojoba is 100% natural and vegan. From Essence of Vali, $15. Use code yoga2015 for 20% off!
6. Glass infuser travel mug - This is perfect for the mama who is always on the go (and really, what mom isn't?) It's hand made by artisan glass blowers and can be used for tea or fruit. $16.35 from Namastea.
7. Signature Essentials Gift Box - These goodies smell ah-mazing, so tell Mom to say hello to her new favorite scent! We've got sunscreen, jasmine grapefruit natural deodorant and vanilla grapefruit lip balm. $50 from Erbaviva.
8. Facial Serum - This anti-aging facial serum is the bomb dot com because it's made from the most wonderful things including rosehip oil, vitamin e oil and sweet almond oil. A few drops will hydrate skin like no other. It's blended in small batches with lots of love, and only tested on (brutally honest) friends and family From Dolly Moo, $24.00
9. Lip Balm - This organic lip balm smells like dessert. It's a cooling mint balm for chapped lips and it's paraben and chemical free! $17.99 from Kiss My Honey.
10. Salted Chocolate - I mean the name really sells itself, no? We're talking seeds, coconut oil, cacao and maple syrup among other real ingredients. Soy, grain and gluten free, and handmade from PureNOLA for $10.50.
11. Organic Tea - Ginger has long been touted as one of the best things you can put into your body. Good for upset stomach, to aid digestion and improve metabolism, ginger is like the little root that could! This organic ginger ginseng tea is for the health-conscious, tea-loving mamas out there. $12 from GingerChi. Use code CHI15 for 15% off!
One winner will receive everything!
To Enter the Mother's Day Gift Guide Giveaway:
I love getting to know you guys better, so let's share favorite memories with mom or the person who you consider your mom. Share your story below in the comments section.
Rules for entry:
- All entries will be verified (i.e. make sure you leave a comment as well as entering using the box below).
- This giveaway is open to those in the USA, but we are working hard to find companies willing to ship internationally in future giveaways, so please stay tuned.
- The winner will be chosen by random on April 30th and be notified by email.
- The companies will be shipping each item separately. YBC will pass on the winners' info to each company, and then will not be responsible for communication/shipping between the winners and the companies.
- If you have a separate email for promotional use, feel free to enter using that email address because by entering the giveaway, you consent to being added to the YBC weekly newsletter list and receiving occasional promotional emails from the participating brands.