Before we jump into it today, I just want to say thank you for the support yesterday regarding the Miami retreat (below, in case you missed it). I've really been struggling this week and your support and help mean so much. Thank you.
Today we're focusing on my current least favorite pose, haha. Ok, that's sort of an exaggeration - it's not that terrible, it's just really intense for the hamstrings! I definitely recommend a warm up before you give this a try.
So here's how we do it.
1. Start by taking a big step forward with the left foot, and then shimmy the foot to the left just a little bit. This will give you a slightly wider stance which will give you a more solid foundation.
2. Then, turn your right foot out about 45 degrees.
3. Then, come into reverse prayer pose, if your wrists are healthy. (Instructions in the video below.) If you have tight wrists or joint issues in the wrists, consider extending your arms overhead and pressing the hands together.
4. Then, take a deep breath in and activate the thighs by lifting the kneecaps.
5. As you exhale, hinge at the hips and melt the torso forward. Breathe 3-7 deep breaths and rise up. The trick, while you're in it, is to keep the hips even. When the hips are even, the hamstring will FEEL IT. When the hips are uneven, the body is compensating for the tight hamstrings.
Shop the Look
Let's talk I'd love to know, what's your current least favorite yoga pose?