Disclaimer: This post is a sponsored post. While we were compensated for the post, all opinions - as always- are our own.
Hi friends! I'm writing to you from the yoga room at the #YBCretreat in Sifnos, Greece, where the internet seems to be working (Hallelujah!) and while I'm traveling this month, Lauren, YBC's Marketing and Events Director will be chiming in here and there as a guest writer. We've got some good stuff lined up with her, and I hope you enjoy. Today, she's sharing her in-flight essentials since she's pretty much the queen of travel. xo Candace
My fiancée and I have packed up our lives and moved from country to country so many times I’ve almost lost count! I recently arrived back in the US from Europe and we’re actually gearing up to make the move from Connecticut to Colorado for the summer in just a few short weeks. In my true anxious nature, I’ve already begun to collect items that are absolute necessities for me while in-flight or stuck in the car because surviving more than 4+ hours of travel 37,000 feet up, jammed between two strangers requires a few aides (aside from a lot of wine and ambien – and that’s not actually recommended, btw).
From first hand experience most of us know that even the shortest of flights can instantly dry out your skin, make your hair oily and cause your eyes to become red and puffy – not to mention how stressful it is waiting in never-ending lines at the airport and watching TSA rifle through your prized beauty possessions just searching for any full-sized, non-compliant items to throw away #theWORST. Do you want to know a great way to avoid all the annoying aspects of travel and actually enjoy your long haul flight?! Fly private. Ya right, I wish! If you’re like me, aka not a millionaire (not yet, anyway!) we’ll have to enjoy the perks of flying private through the lives of the rich and famous for now. In the meantime, I can give you a few tips & tricks that will hopefully make you hate life a little less and enjoy the journey a little more. Side note: they’re all TSA approved – take that TSA snoopers!
When you prepare your carry-on be sure to pack the basics and not too much more…and by basics I clearly mean a plethora of beauty supplies that will help you look your freshest in flight and upon arrival. :) I find that the following things work the best to keep me relaxed and refreshed in-flight.
1. Antibacterial Towelettes – Okay, I’m not exactly a “germ-a-phobe” but I do like to keep my personal space as germ-free as I can and that’s nearly impossible during a long day of travel. From public transportation, the airport, security lines to your assigned seat, you’re bound to come into contact with a few unwanted and unnecessary germs. I love these Eucalyptus Towelettes from Herban Essentials because they’re made with high-quality pure essential oil that makes them naturally antibacterial and antiseptic (not to mention they smell AH-mazing). I use these to keep my hands clean when I didn’t have quick access to a sink and to wipe down my armrests and tray-table at my seat. It’s been almost two weeks since I last touched down with zero signs of a cold. #winning
2. Immunity Booster – Whenever I fly, even if it’s across one time zone, I always feel super run down which probably isn’t the best thing for my immune system when trying to fight off new germs and unfamiliar particles flying around in the air. I love traveling with this Immunity Essential Oil Blend by 21Drops because its encased in a layer of protective rubber, making it nearly impossible to break so I know everything else in my carry-on is safe! Re-apply this to your throat, wrists and back of the neck throughout the day to help keep you feeling healthy and strong.
3. Moisturizing Kit - They don’t call it a red-eye for nothing! With hours exposed to re-circulated air and a lack of uninterrupted restful sleep the area around your eyes can quickly and easily become red and puffy (not a good look, amiright?!) I used this Travel Set from LiftLab during my most recent flight and I’ll never travel without it again. I used the LIFT + FIX serum before leaving for the airport to prevent inflammation and sensitivity. Once in-flight I re-applied the LIFT + MOISTURIZE cream as needed to keep my face ultra-hydrated and glowing – works wonders!
4. Facial Toner – A good facial toner is the secret weapon to fab looking skin. Toner can shrink pores, restore pH balance, add a layer of protection, moisturize and re-fresh just to name a few. I like this Organic Rose Water Facial Toner by Holistic Apothecary because it’s 100% chemical free and contains botanicals that work with my skin, not against it. It comes in a 2oz bottle with a spray pump making this little beauty super easy to spritz throughout the flight for amazing looking (and smelling) skin. The only people who are going to be upset about this are the TSA agents who can’t snag it for themselves! #betterlucknexttime
5. Makeup – Okay, I get it, this one is an obvious but sometimes the most obvious regimens need a mention too. If you’re searching for a great non-toxic line, you should check out Fitglow Beauty. I brought their Day Time Diva Kit with me during my last flight and all of their products were on-point! (I'm boarderline addicted to the lip gloss, #help!) This kit comes with all the basic beauty essentials but the added bonus was a vegan croc clutch they came in (double win!) making it really easy to find my foundation, lipstick and lip gloss for a quick touch-up before landing. Bonus - use coupon code YBCGLOW for 15% off this and all other items from Fitglow Beauty.
6. Seaweed Mask – This is an absolute must-have for your post-flight skin. I’ve recently learned that nutrient-rich seaweed can alleviate dry irritated skin and can even reduce inflammation and detoxify. This one by Good4You is great because it’s in a powder form (que TSA Approval!) so all you have to do is mix in a little honey, yogurt or water to create an instant skin saving mask. I love this particular one because the little kelp seaweed bits give an exfoliating effect when the mask is removed – making it perfect for clearing out all the dirt that made its way into your pores throughout the flight. Keep this miracle paste on your face for 10 minutes and you're good to go!
7. Nutrition – Trying to find healthy, nutritious, un-processed food in an airport or on-board a flight is almost nearly impossible. I recently discovered these Chia Shots by The Chia Co. and I’m upset I didn’t find out about these sooner. They’re perfect to throw in your bag for a convenient source of protein, fiber and omega-3s – especially when you’ve had your fair share of unhealthy food/snacks. Just sprinkle a tablespoon of chia seeds on your food or in your water pre, during and post flight for an added boost of nutrition!
Items Not Shown Above:
- Eye Mask – Block light and make catching those Zzzz’s a lot easier with the help of an eye mask.
- Noise-Canceling headphones - Drown out everything from loud conversations to crying babies (…and sometimes adults).
- Kindle or a good old fashioned paperback – Catch up on all of the books you meant to read, but haven’t found the time and/or opportunity to commit to reading. Check out our book recommendations!
- Neck Pillow – This needs no explanation!
- Compression socks – To keep those swollen ankles under control – nothings worse then kankles upon arrival! #ouch
- These mini-toothbrushes are a lifesaver!
- Dry shampoo – After a long flight, give your hair the boost of volume it needs with some dry shampoo.
- Travel Wrap - We can all speculate about the amount of germs and bacteria thriving on the blankets & pillow provided by airlines on overnight and long-haul flights. Do yourself a favor and bring along a blanket scarf or travel wrap.
Now that you guys know what makes me look and feel half-decent during and after a long flight, I’d love to hear what products you can’t travel without!