Today I'm excited to share a new monthly series called There's an App for That. Each month will have different themes and will feature six of our favorite apps. This month, since we've been talking about yoga retreats and packing guides, I thought it would be fun to discuss apps that are useful for travel. Keep the discussion going over on the Yoga Forum!
For me, personally, I use Uber the most. It's often cheaper than taking a cab, and quicker. I've used it all over the world! I love that it hooks up to your paypal account so when you're traveling you don't have to worry about having local currency. They also have a free rides program. If you've never tried Uber before, you can use my code (yjy9m) to get a free ride. Then, you'll get your own code that you can share with friends and get more free rides. Full disclosure: when you redeem using my code, I get a free ride as a kickback. #freeuberforeveryone #booooom
Ok so let's talk about this list.
1. Entrain: Crafts a schedule for you to expose your body to both light and dark based upon your travel itinerary. The difference in this app is that the results are based on published scientific results regarding sleep patterns.
- Cost: Free
- Requirements: Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5 and requires iOS 7.1 or later and Android 2.2 and up.
2. Postagram: Take a photo with the Postagram app and send your very own postcard to anyone in the world. My gram loves receiving these!
Cost: App is free to download. Cost is .99 cents to send a printed postcard.
Requirements: Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch and iPad. Requires iOS 4.0 or later and Android 2.1 and up.
3. Pocket Travel: Currency converter, tip & discount calculator. An easy way to not lose your mind when you're paying 2,000 Costa Rican colones for groceries and having no clue how much that is in dollars.
- Cost: $2.99
- Requirements: Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch and iPad. Requires iOS 7.0 or higher. For all those Androiders out there, a good alternative is Easy Currency Converter Pro: Cost: $1.69 (converted from euros to usd). Requires Android 1.6 and up.
4. Uber: Secure a private driver within minutes in over 50 countries. Choose your type of vehicle and be notified by the app when the driver's at your location. Use code yjy9m for a free ride.
- Cost: Free
- Requirements: Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch and iPad. Requires iOS 7.0 or later and Android compatibilities vary with device.
5. WiFi map pro: Get passwords for wifi locations all over the world. This comes in so handy because you all know how miserable it is to be lost in the middle of some international city and not know what to do or where to go for help!
- Cost: $4.99
- Requirements: Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch and iPad. Requires iOS 7.0 or later and Android 4.1 and up.
6. iVoice Translator Pro: Text to speech translation with voice recognition for foreign languages. I can't tell you how helpful this is! I used it all the time in the Czech Republic!
- Cost: .99 cents
- Requirements: Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. Requires iOS 7.0 or later. For all those Androiders out there, a good alternative is Voice Translator Pro: Cost $3.40 Requires Android 2.2 and up.
Let's talk What apps do you use for travel on a regular basis? Keep the convo going over on the Yoga Forum!