Disclaimer: This post is brought to you by Manitoba Harvest, who sent Hemp Hearts to use in a recipe post. While we were compensated for the post, all opinion - as always - are our own. We are committed to working with companies we truly believe in whose products we would buy for ourselves. Thank you for supporting the brands that support YBC.
I'm not gluten-free anymore (woo!), but I don't tend to eat a ton of gluten, so when Manitoba Harvest sent these Hemp Hearts, I thought it'd be cool to try them in a meatball recipe in place of breadcrumbs. I had just picked up some ground beef the day the Hemp Hearts arrived so it was like the stars were aligning; don't you just love when that happens?
Ingredients for No-breadcrumb Meatballs
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 eggs (ignore that 3 are pictured, just did that because it looked prettier haha)
- 1 1/2c Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 scallions, diced
- 1t thyme
- 1t rosemary
- 1t Italian seasoning
- 1t salt
Directions for No-Breadcrumb Meatballs
1. Preheat the oven to 350f. Put the meat in a mixing bowl and add the eggs, onion, scallions and garlic. Mix everything together.
2. Put the Hemp Hearts in a blender (I used a Vitamix) and blend on high until thoroughly blended. You could also probably just put them in without the blender, I just had my Vitamix out and thought, why not?
3. Mix the Hemp Hearts in with the meat mixture.
4. Add the spices.
5. Form into small rounds and place on a baking sheet.
6. Bake for 20-30 minutes (cut one down the middle to be sure it's cooked all the way through.