Do you make personal or professional New Year's resolutions or intentions? Do you tend to stick to them? Any tips or tricks for achieving what you set out to do?
I know we're just about halfway into January but I just penned mine out last weekend and thought I'd share them with you. Better late than never, right?!
In no particular order, here are my personal intentions:
- Learn more about micronutrients - This past year, I made an effort to pay attention to my eating. First, I realized I wasn't eating enough, given the amount of activity I was doing. Then, I learned that balancing my meals through macro tracking helped to balance out my hormones. Now, my hormones seem to be doing well and overall I am feeling great, but there is still some room for improvement in my health, and so I'd like to focus more on learning about micronutrients, how I can better incorporate them into my diet, and hopefully see if replenishing any deficiencies I might have will resolve a few minor things I'm dealing with. I'll keep ya posted. :)
- Continue to improve my lifts - I started lifting heavier and incorporating hiit style workouts last year and I've never felt happier with my body, so I'm going to keep it up because it works for me. I do, however, want to continue to learn as much as I can about Olympic lifting and improving my lifts. I find the yoga, lifting and mental health connection so fascinating, and I love picking people's brains about lifting in general. Another thing I love about it is that I feel better prepared for life as I continue to build strength. I know that sounds a bit ridiculous, but I used to be pretty weak. Just opening one of those heavy doors to a business made me feel like I was going to throw my back out. Walking up a huge flight of stairs made my legs burn. Not anymore. I feel so much stronger and ready for whatever life throws at me, so I'd just like to continue to grow my strength.
- Know my numbers - For years, I never paid much attention to money because my earnings went into a joint account and he handled everything. Well, as I've hinted at on social media, things are changing (I'm not really ready to talk about it yet, sorry) and this year, I'd really like to take a closer look at the finances. I'd like to make greater efforts to save more, and just be more conscious of what's coming in and going out. I am particularly interested in creating a grocery budget because what I spend per week ($150) seems outrageous to me, given that I am shopping for one. (Although a few people have chimed in since seeing my snaps of my groceries and say they spend about the same, so if you feel like sharing down in the comments below, I'd love to know what you spend per week on groceries, how many you feed, and the types of foods you generally purchase.)
- Have more fun and make more of an effort for self care - I kind of started this intention in the fall as a way to actively avoid falling into a depression after the aforementioned change was decided, and I really want to keep it going because it is vital to my mental health. The more I learn about health (both mental and physical), the more I realize that stress is such a silent killer. The more I can do to keep my stress levels down, the better, and this intention is all about that.
Professionally, I have a few intentions as well. In no particular order, they are:
- Continue to grow the app - Content creation is a really cool industry to be in mostly because it is constantly changing and no two days are ever the same. When I started blogging, instagram wasn't really that much of a thing, and no one I knew had snapchat at all. Now, snapchat and instagram stories are so important when building an online presence. In that same vein, I think app subscriptions are the next thing, and I'd like to focus on creating useful exclusive content for YBC app that'll feel like an extension of the blog. I'll be bringing back the Ask Me Anything series (formerly Ask a Yoga Question), share workout tips, yoga tips, exclusive yoga videos, and use it as a space to develop a podcast. If you haven't downloaded and opted-in to the exclusive section, you can do so here for iTunes and here for google play.
- Expanding and improving the YouTube channel - In terms of expansion, I'm going to start incorporating more hiit workouts and more beauty tutorials to the channel. I will do my best to feature some natural and organic products in each beauty video, although not everything I own is natural/organic #badyogi, but I'm planning on just doing what I can and letting that be enough. In terms of improvements, I recently purchased some new lighting and filming equipment to make it easier for myself and create higher quality videos.
- Developing a deeper connection with the YBC Community - Between the #snapfam and the repeat retreat attendees, I freaking love you guys. You're the people I'd hoped to find when I set out to create this blog. I wanted a safe space for the yoga-curious. A place where people would feel included and welcomed, regardless of anything else - diet, religion, income, gender, etc. I'd love to hear more about what you'd like to see on the blog. I've asked on instagram, and a few people mentioned an informal book club, so I'll keep brainstorming about how to make that happen, but any other ideas you have, I'm all ears. I'm here for you, and happy to help if I can, so leave your suggestions down in the comments section below.
- Freelance and consulting work - A while back, I did a Business of Blogging mini series and offered blogging consults where I'd send out this text and workbook I'd created for the client to fill out, and then we'd meet on skype and go over their blog together. I'd make recommendations for improvements and answer questions. I wound up revoking that offer after I met with a business coach who said it didn't fit with YBC. Looking back, it's obvious that it really doesn't fit with what YBC is all about, but it does fit with what I'm all about. So I'm toying with the idea of starting my own website, revamping the blogging text and workbook I'd created, writing other texts about what I've learned about social and online marketing, and offering the Business of Blogging and other consulting services as an extension of that. I just need to mull it over a bit more because I already have a lot on my plate, and that would be a separate endeavor from YBC.
That's it for me! Your turn - I'd love to hear what personal and professional goals you have, your grocery budget (if you'd like to share) and any special requests for things you'd like to see on YBC or the Exclusive Section of the YBC app.