PSA: Our Costa Rica retreat is filling up! Come join us in November for a yoga retreat in paradise! Also, if you've downloaded our YBC Official App, we'd be so grateful if you could take a minute to review it in the App Store! Thanks so much for the support! xo
We're back with another Workout Wednesday. How was your past week of workouts? I've been trying to ease back into things because I've noticed that when I'm stressed and I work out at my fullest, I get really run down. So I'm continuing to work on lowering my stress levels and taking it down a notch with my workouts.
My workout today: 15 min stair master warm up. Deadlifts to one rep max. Then 5 reps of Turkish get ups each side with kettle bell coupled w 5 hanging L sits from the bar (prob a better name for this? ****update: they're called L hangs🙌🏽). Then 20 wall ball, 100 sit ups and handstand practice. #yoga #yogaeverydamnday #fitfam #ybcyogis #girlswholift
Snatch work continues😕👀. Still using the short bar which I think is 35lbs 😔 but need to build up strength before I can graduate to the big girl bar of 45lbs. Today's workout: snatch & overhead squat x 25 at 55lbs, 5 sets of 5 Russian split squats w 20lb Dumbbells coupled with 10 push-ups. Finished w 25 reverse crunches and stretching. Have a great Sunday! #ybcstrength #girlswholift #fitfam
Then the next day I focused on more snatch technique and did snatch and overhead squat times thirty. I am slowly starting to love the snatch lift. I can really feel it the next day in my lats and since I am pretty weak in the upper body, I love feeling sore. It hurts so good! (Wearing: alo yoga paddle fast bra, lululemon capris.) Then I took a day off from weight lifting and did a yoga class with a friend as an active recovery.
For a workout yesterday, I did 30 clean and jerks, and 20 inchworms with pushups coupled with handstand holds and 20 crunches, and today I'll do an active recovery yoga class. Tomorrow will be a complete day off.
Anyway! Today I wanted to share what I carry around in my gym bag. I actually am on the hunt for a gym bag. Right now I use my purse, which is absolutely ridiculous to have such a nice purse hold so much gym stuff, but whatcha gonna do? If you have a favorite gym bag I'd love to hear what it is and what you love about it. Here's what's in my purse:
1. Sneakers. I have a couple different pairs and I wear different ones for different things, as some offer more stability than others. Side note: For my weightlifting girlfrannns, do you wear those weightlifting sneakers with the velcro strap? Do I need those or not so much? Would love your two cents on if they make a difference.
2. Hair ties. These, admittedly, look freaking weird, but they're actually awesome. They don't break, they don't stretch out, and they stay put. Love them.
3. A post workout drink to replenish electrolytes. I usually bring either Kombucha, a green juice, or just a homemade drink of water, the juice of a full lemon, a dash of pure cranberry, and a shot of beet kvass. These are far healthier than your traditional sports drink and really help to replenish electrolytes.
4. Headphones. When I'm at the gym, I like being in my own head with my tunes. If I forget my headphones it's game over. I will turn around and go home because a workout without my music is like having to wear sneakers without socks (#theworst). I like my headphones because I have small ears and most in-ear headphones don't fit me, but everyone at my gym wears these giant over the ear, wireless headphones and I can't imagine they're comfortable when you're sweating buckets, but what do I know?
5. Yoga strap. I love my gym but they're lacking a few things. Like I can never find a stretching strap or yoga strap, so I just bring my own.
6. Jump rope. My gym does have jump ropes but they're kind of flimsy and don't really work well, so I bring my trusty one I've had for years.
7. Hockey tape. I refuse to wear gloves when I lift because I kind of like the calluses I get, but every once in a while they hurt like a mother when they first come in so I'll tape up my finger when that happens to tide me over until the actual callus develops.
8. Scissors to cut the tape.
9. Resistance bands. My gym doesn't have these and I love them for band walks. #feelthrburn
Let's talk: What do you carry in your gym bag? Do you have a favorite pair of headphones? Anything you'd like to see in this series?
Shop the looks from above and more favorites: