The YBC Yoga Forum is poppin'! There's a whole section for those new to yoga, and it's becoming a great space for yoga people to connect, ask questions, and get feedback and advice. Come join! Ready to take your practice deeper?
Come join us in 2015 for beginner-appropriate yoga retreats in Miami, Costa Rica, Greece, Morocco and NY.
For all my newbies! It can be tough trying to figure out where to start. Here are five poses appropriate for total beginners. Breathe 3 - 5 full, deep breaths in each pose before moving on to the next. Feel free to ask any questions below!
1. Warrior 1 - We see warriors 1 and 2 all the time in yoga, so learning how to properly do warrior 1 right off the bad will set the foundation for a solid practice.
2. Sphinx pose - This is a nice beginners yoga pose that will begin to develop a bit of chest opening and upper body strength.
3. Tree pose - Tree pose is perfect for those just beginning to build up their sense of balance. The trick is to watch the placement of the foot into the standing leg. Avoid putting the foot against the knee joint.
4. High lunge - High lunge is one of the poses I love because of the nice stretch you get in the back leg's hip flexor. It's perfect for beginners.
5. Reclined gomukasana - This is one of the best yoga poses for the hips. For beginners with limited flexibility, just grab hold of the bottoms of the shins rather that the outside edges of the feet.
Let's talk Are you a newbie? What's your greatest challenge when it comes to the yoga practice? What do you love about the practice?